Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
huyzer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,749Gear list
Like?
Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!
Sep 11, 2013

Hi,

In a few days, I will have a D800! Oh my, I'm so excited. I have an S5 Pro by Fujifilm, and I love that camera's highlight sensor. But looking through a 1.5x crop factor camera has that tunnel vision of a view, I can't wait to have a 100% full-frame viewfinder like my old Nikon F5. My own thought is that this will actually help me compose images better. In either case, it's such a joy to look through the viewfinder and the images look bigger.

Anyhow, I think with the new D800, my exposure might be opposite of what I'm used to. Since the D800 is so great with shadow detail, and extracting it, I'm figuring I'm to expose for the highlights, and recover for the shadows. This is opposite of what I could do with the S5 Pro. That camera, by the way, you can grossly overexposure, and recovery is incredible. I'm hoping it'd be the opposite with the D800, in that if you grossly underexpose, you can recover so much. Bear in mind, that's not my intent to grossly over or under expose things. It's just nice to be able to recover fudged exposures. I think I might even tend towards compensating to the negative, as I hate blown highlights (hence, why I waited so long to get a digital camera, being the S5 Pro).

But in the beginning, I think I'm going to shoot with matrix metering, and not use any exposure compensation, just to feel how the camera reacts.  If you want to interject, please do.  I'd love to here real world tips from fellow D800 users.

Since it's a new camera, I probably should run it through some tests, just to see if everything is okay, especially the left focus issue I've read about. I really hope I didn't get a lemon.  Any tips in this respect will be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to search the forums also.

Anyhow, sorry for such a long intro. I look forward to interacting with this community.

Take care
Huy (sounds like "we")

huyzer's gear list:huyzer's gear list
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow