Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Re: Thank you DPR .
In reply to CollBaxter, Sep 11, 2013

I would read the user report at

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/olympus_omd_em1_new_features_explained_.php/b

They seem to feel that the AF speed with four thirds lenses is on par with a Nikon D200 or D7000, for what that's work.
Unlike DPR, they used many of the SHG lenses, as opposed to DPR's one lens, and shooting along side an e5.
The comments are quite interesting too.
I really don't think DPR really did much homework with the EM1 and the older lenses. They are likely too busy dealing with other things they find more interesting.

Here are some excerpts.

...After using an OM-D E-M1 for almost two weeks with a wide range of Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses we feel we're getting to know the new Olympus flagship quite well...

...Under most circumstances the E-M1 focuses Four Thirds lenses normally and perhaps even faster than an Olympus E-5. We have been using lenses like the Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8, 90-250mm f/2.8, 150mm f/2.0 and the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 SWD photographing birds in flight (BIF) perhaps the ultimate challenge for an autofocus system...

...The E-M1 is at least as good as an E-5 and we honestly feel that overall it is actually better thanks to the 26 additional focus points and improved predictive focus and subject tracking algorithms. The E-M1 is not top in class but it is a very respectable performer in action photography conditions, well-aided by up to 6.5 frames per second continuous shooting while continuously focusing...

...If there is a weakness, the lack of cross-type AF points is occasionally frustrating when you happen across details you are trying to lock focus on that are largely made up of horizontal lines...

...We found that the E-M1 focused well in low light using Four Thirds lenses, although a direct comparison with an E-5 saw the older camera edge-out the E-M1 in extremely low light...

...But fundamentally, if you had concerns that a Micro Four Thirds camera would never be able to do your Four Thirds lenses justice, we found little to confirm any such worries...

and this from the comments:

In the time I had with the camera I found focus speed good ; I normally use an E5 I tried my Olympus. Four thirds 7-14 ,14-54, 12-60, 50-200, 70-300 the Sigma. 150 and the 50-500 Bigma all seemed to focus well and to me a quick as normal. I tried the Olympus 300 supplied on the day and found it hunted as did some of the other lenses a quick manual prefocus solved the hunting. Tried the 150 for macro and it worked well for me rocking as normal. Very impressed with the camera on the day I did find the four way switch akward to use . Lots of buttons and settings which will take E 3, 30 & 5 owners time to get used to. Hope this helps

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow