Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff Klofft
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,533
Like?
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy
In reply to kiirokurisu, Sep 11, 2013

kiirokurisu wrote:

When I travel I want the best imaging capability that I can afford. Travel is very costly and very often it might be years before I come back to a place, or possibly never. That's why it has to be the best equipment I can reasonably muster. I carry insurance and use an anti-theft backpack so I don't have to worry about the equipment itself.

Along with my D600, for a two-lens kit that covers most opportunities that could present themselves I have the 16-35 and 70-200 f4 lenses. These are relatively light and compact given their capabilities. To that I might add a fast prime such as 35/1.4 or 50/1.2 depending on whether I think there will be opportunities to use them. With a well-designed backpack carrying these is perfectly comfortable and leaves room for other odds and ends in the pack as well.

I should add that I don't have kids, and an understanding travel partner helps too. With the modern VR lenses and high-ISO capabilities I don't generally carry a tripod either, unless I'm specifically going out for landscape shooting.

Sounds like you situation is very similar to mine.  I took the 18-35 and 70-300 along with a 50 f/1.8 to London and it worked pretty well.  There were times when I felt "in between" the two zooms and a midrange zoom would have need nice, but I question the need to carry and extra zoom for such a limited need (especially when the better ones are so large - 24-70 or 24-120).

Have you found yourself in a situation were neither zoom is really the right fit for the situation?

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow