Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?
Re: Had the E-M5 +12-35 and A99 + 85 1.4
In reply to realq86, Sep 11, 2013

realq86 wrote:

I returned the A99.

In my month long with the A99, it did not produce a better image. Maybe at ridiculous irrelevant ISO of 25k.

With the above combo, the A99 with the Zeiss did NOT produce a BETTER picture. It produced a larger picture that allowed me to crop a bit, but at pixel level there was no noise advantage.

The A99 was not better in low light because FF max sharpness is down to f8, while the m4/3 can do it at f5.6.

At f2.8 the 12-35 was much sharper than the Zeiss at f2.8.

With consideration of dof the m4/3 was actually more useful indoors. At f2.8 the m4/3 had useful enough dof, while the FF needed to stop down a bit more to achieve the same useable portraits. Which means the A99 needed to be shot at higher ISO than the E-M5 for the same shot.

I don't print very large YET, so for the moment the A99 holds no advantage over the E-M5 other than better AF-C, and a bit more reach with crop.

Due to the weight difference I found I couldn't shoot as steady on the A99 as on the E-M5. I had to shoot few stops faster shutter speed, which again lost more light.

The FF advantage is not what marketers make it out to be, its an advantage really reserved for very selected people who really need that bigger image.

Interesting... maybe you should have spent more time with A99 to actually understand the usage. A99 did not produce better low light pictures than E-M5 ?? You must be doing something REALLY wrong. Granted A99 is not as good in low light as the other FF cameras but saying that it's low light performance is worst than E-M5 is just ridiculous.

Here is a DXO's sensor comparison between the two.

Low Light Score:

A99: 1555

E-M5: 826

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow