E-M1 - my take

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
You can't expect to get something for nothing...
In reply to kuaimen, Sep 11, 2013

kuaimen wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

I mostly agree with you (90%+). What I want to add to remind everyone liking 4/3rds a lot and thinking "Olympus betrayed them" is to consider this-

Either Olympus continued pouring cash over a black hole (4/3rds) or look for their best chance for camera system survival while continuing innovating *and* providing an upgrade path to the 4/3rds owner.

Those are really the two options. The worst case would have been complete abandonment with no more support than the current adapters out there.

What good is to release an E-7 and continuing pouring cash on 4/3rds lens development and production if it will make for a big financial risk for the camera division? Would you rather have NO Olympus cameras vs what they are doing now?

It will be interesting to see how the AF really handles for 4/3rds lenses particularly in lower light levels (E-3/E-5 were rated to focus at -2EV), but that said, this is a great camera that goes back to the unique selling proposition that 4/3rds originally put on the table (small size *and* high quality lenses), while giving the current 4/3rds owner a path to continue using their lenses with the very latest Olympus camera / sensor technology they have at their disposal.

Seriously, I think it is a great outcome.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

I think this is great - one little body, two little lens (12-40, 40-150) and it's all I need for 99% of all I can think of doing. Well, apparently, I don't do much.

Once I have those three things, I am certain I will find things that are painfully lacking (again) and I will need (read "want") more things. But before that time comes, it all looks great.

The thing is, $1399 really, really, really sucks. Bad Olympus!!! Maybe I should wait another year to get the poor man's version for $499.

You can't expect something for nothing. This camera is built at the semi-pro/pro level. You can't have this for $499, it's really that simple.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow