Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,019Gear list
Like?
Question Doug?
In reply to Doug Brown, Sep 11, 2013

Doug Brown wrote:

Danielvr wrote:

Years ago when Oly put a focus indication LED in some Fourthirds models, we were disappointed to find that it was disabled for non-system lenses (that is: those without Fourthirds compatible electrical contacts).

Well, now we have focus peaking (i.e. in-focus areas are shown blinking, a great focussing tool especially with manual lenses), but again this has been disabled for non-system lenses, where it would be the most useful!

Source: hands-on test video by TheCameraStoreTV (http://youtu.be/ESOj56fWB8Q?t=10m52s)

I too have used it hands on and the E-M1 is as fast as an E5, or so close to as fast as an E5 that the difference isn't worth talking about.
DPR are out to lunch with that 'live view' comment. The E-M1 is much, much better than any live view DSLR I've ever used. Far better than any Olympus camera you may have used in live view. There just isn't any comparison.

I was using it with the 4/3's 14-35mm f2 lens in dim lighting indoors. This is a lens that has a reputation for twitchy AF performance and I found I couldn't make it miss. Dark shadows, reflective surfaces, close to distant, distant to close, it just did the job.

Thanks Doug I've had a day to cool down a little now, if there is one thing that would get me to buy a couple EM-1's it's fast focusing of the 14-35.

One big concern I have now is the camera only having one memory slot. I was wondering that with the new wifi ability, can you instantly transfer on the fly to your IPad or Android tablet, this could give you a second storage of your files in case of memory card failure?

I told them I was buying one right after that : )

By the end of the demo I told them I wanted two of them.

Pekka's comments are closer to the truth regarding AF.

Douglas Brown

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow