Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,878
Like?
E-M1 - my take
11 months ago

I honestly think this is THE most capable camera Olympus have ever produced.

It brings both sides of the 4/3's family together in one photographic instrument that can go light and stealthy, go heavy duty with weather-proof 4/3's long, fast telephoto primes and zooms, produce razor thin depth of field with primes the 4/3's user didn't have access to previously, and offer better focus tracking than any other m4/3's camera,

It'll do low light, bad weather, long hiking excursions, street shooting, portraiture, photojournalism, travel photography ... other than sports, I think it's just about ideal for everything else.

The range of tasks this camera can take on is really quite a spectrum. Throw in decent video performance as well - maybe you're not going to film a Hollywood epic with it, and video geeks might argue differently, but the E-M1 is certainly up to the standard of most reportage gigs.

It's IED-proof construction exudes quality and durability with more than a little E1 / E3 / E5 DNA built in. It's performance is at or exceeding the specs for a lot of pro cameras, and it all comes in a form factor that's still quite small and portable without being cramped or uncomfortable.

With the two PRO zooms and a few prime lenses it's a media photographer's dream cam.
And you can start right away with just the camera for now if you have 4/3's lenses, then add the mZuikos over time to compliment the larger legacy lenses, or when you want to cut down the load.

It's a very exciting announcement. As I've said before, this isn't just a camera announcement, it's the unveiling of a whole pro eco-system in one go.
A very tough, very capable camera, 22 superb 4/3 lenses, a road map for future pro mZuikos and the use of the smaller mZuiko primes and zooms in the present.

This is going to cover most of what most people realistically need for the foreseeable future, in a camera that's going to last over the long haul.

Regards,

Douglas Brown

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow