DPR Says If Coming From E-3/5 You'll Be Dissapointed In Focusing

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,996
Like?
Re: I've used it, DPR are out to lunch on this ....
In reply to Doug Brown, 10 months ago

Doug Brown wrote:

Danielvr wrote:

Years ago when Oly put a focus indication LED in some Fourthirds models, we were disappointed to find that it was disabled for non-system lenses (that is: those without Fourthirds compatible electrical contacts).

Well, now we have focus peaking (i.e. in-focus areas are shown blinking, a great focussing tool especially with manual lenses), but again this has been disabled for non-system lenses, where it would be the most useful!

Source: hands-on test video by TheCameraStoreTV (http://youtu.be/ESOj56fWB8Q?t=10m52s)

I too have used it hands on and the E-M1 is as fast as an E5, or so close to as fast as an E5 that the difference isn't worth talking about.
DPR are out to lunch with that 'live view' comment. The E-M1 is much, much better than any live view DSLR I've ever used. Far better than any Olympus camera you may have used in live view. There just isn't any comparison.

I was using it with the 4/3's 14-35mm f2 lens in dim lighting indoors. This is a lens that has a reputation for twitchy AF performance and I found I couldn't make it miss. Dark shadows, reflective surfaces, close to distant, distant to close, it just did the job.

I told them I was buying one right after that : )

By the end of the demo I told them I wanted two of them.

Pekka's comments are closer to the truth regarding AF.

Douglas Brown

Certainly good to have your input, Doug. You've been known to have taken a decent shot now and then.

Don't see this cited upthread, so here's Ian Burley's take at FT User, after a couple weeks' hands-on.

Undoubtedly for many E-System DSLR users who have been waiting for a very long time for the E-M1 the top question will be - how well does the new camera work with Four Thirds DSLR lenses. The good news is that problems using these lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras, including slow and sometimes inaccurate autofocusing, can now be forgotten. Under most circumstances the E-M1 focuses Four Thirds lenses normally and perhaps even faster than an Olympus E-5. We have been using lenses like the Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8, 90-250mm f/2.8, 150mm f/2.0 and the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 SWD photographing birds in flight (BIF) perhaps the ultimate challenge for an autofocus system, and as you will discover in our sample image gallery on page 2 of this article we have been able to get some excellent results. We have also been enjoying the use of Micro Four Thirds lenses chasing birds as well thanks to the E-M1's PDAF support in continuous focus (C-AF). The E-M1 is at least as good as an E-5 and we honestly feel that overall it is actually better thanks to the 26 additional focus points and improved predictive focus and subject tracking algorithms. The E-M1 is not top in class but it is a very respectable performer in action photography conditions, well-aided by up to 6.5 frames per second continuous shooting while continuously focusing.

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/olympus_omd_em1_handson_preview.php

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. This could yet be the "it" camera.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow