Alternatives to Adobe Photoshop

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Robert Schoner
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
Re: Alternatives to Adobe Photoshop/My Numbers and Current Thinking
In reply to Don Boethel, 10 months ago

Hi,

I went back and checked my records for update frequency and costs. I started with PS 5.0 that I got for free because I used it at work and the license allowed me to make a copy for home use. My updates were to 7.0 in Aug 2003 ($136), CS2 in Dec 2005 ($160) and CS5 in May 2010. Adding the costs and dividing by 121 months (Aug 2003-Sep 2013) works out to about $4/mo. If I use $199 for each upgrade to try to account for inflation it brings the cost to $5/mo.

As a hobbyist I never felt the need to upgrade for each new addition. What really got to me was the policy change to limit the upgrade pricing to subsequent editions and not allowing us to skip editions. With the new pricing policy I would have had to buy 6 upgrade editions at $199/edition which works out to about $10/ month; exactly what Adobe is charging for their new "deal". But, if I go for it and decide to stop I would not be able to continue to use the latest version and I would be back with CS5.

So, what to do. I use PS mostly for levels, cropping. clone/healing brush, content aware fill and lens correction to fix distortion and straighten building walls etc. I then jump to Topaz for enhancing and noise reduction. I have gotten to where I really appreciate Topaz and the control I have with their FXLab that allows me to use their software standalone. I purchased Lightroom 4.0 last Black Friday for about $75 mainly as a catalogging replacement for IDImager but have yet to take the time to learn it and try to migrate the database from IDImager to Lightroom.

At this point I am leaning towards not going for the CC license and relying on Topaz to continue to upgrade their software which they seem to be doing. I don't shoot raw very often but I can always use Canon's raw processor if I have to. Looking at the other software that's out there (PSP etc.) I don't see anything that's offered that would give me something better than what I have (I may be wrong).

So, in response to the OP's original question this is where I'm headed at the moment. As always my needs/uses may not be the same as others so YMMV.

HTH,

Bob Schoner

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow