ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,763
Like?
Canon will have to work hard
10 months ago

I just played with the new Olympus EM1 with the 12-40 f/2.8. It was short and the camera was attached to the demo table through one of these security cables. I was told that it’s because it’s not for retail yet (more like they are afraid of one of us stealing it). This is not a test but there was a battery and a memory card in it.

Whow! What a beast. I’ve never used EVF but this was nice. As crisp as the 7D’s viewfinder? I don’t know but at least it was in the same league. 10 frames per second for 50 frames! 2½ times more than my 7D, that’s 5 seconds. It’s smaller than the 7D and it feels around the same weight but the specs say: it’s lighter. They said that it was “fully weatherproof”. Any rain, any snow, any weather you can throw at it…

Very nice camera but the real monster is the new 12-40 f/2.8 lens. It’s between ⅓ and ½ of the sized of the Canon 24-70L II f/2.8. Nice, well balanced, lightning fast and the colors/sharpness looked fantastic.

In the Great White North (aka Canuck Land), the combo will be just under $2500, they didn’t give us the exact price. But that’s the same price as Canon’s 24-70L II f/2.8 for the camera and a lens of similar quality as Canon’s.

These are  my impressions after only 6 to 7 minutes with the camera, but I’m very tempted, especially with the new 40-150 f/2.8 coming almost soon. 2 lenses as a whole kit (for me) and a EP5 as a backup camera…

And now for the downside. It’s an Olympus. Olympus killed their OM film cameras 20 years ago after OM-4. They killed their 4/3 4 years ago after the E5.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow