Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you DPR .
In reply to CollBaxter, 7 months ago

CollBaxter wrote:

Denjw wrote:

Collin I am in your camp so I won't tell you to bugger off!

But the EM-1 maybe a nice walk around/travel camera when we are not shooting birds!

yep I see it as a replacement for the E-620 with short lenses for carry around or very static shooting.

Interesting to see what the 40-150 will be like and if they have got CAF sorted in m4/3 native mode.

Exactly my thought....  It's what Olympus is trying to recapture the E-620 crowd, which is the largest 4/3 user group.  And if I like E-M1 after handle it, it might buy it to replace E-620, but it's not an E-5 replacement, as I have said before.  It's going to the right direction certainly, but not quite there yet.

I never thought E-M1's main sensor-based PDAF would be faster than E-5 which has a dedicated PDAF sensor for it.  Saying that's true is like SLT is better than SLR.  The difference might become less and less apparent due to technological advancement, but it won't be the same.  It's how much users would see that as an advantage, just like 4/3 sensors are getting closer to APS-C level of IQ in every respect, it's a moot point to argue which is better for most people.  (actually most people are better served with advanced P&S's instead of DSLRs, but we have too many people who don't need a DSLRs got them, and they just keep trolling the forums with stuff they don't understand).

m.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 looks very interesting.  It reminds me a lot of Zuiko 50-200mm SWD in shape, but it's the final IQ that my judgement will be based on (I don't go compare specs like many people).  I doubt it would be better.  None of the m4/3 lens is better than 4/3 counterpart (and 75mm f/1.8 has no peer) because Olympus is beginning to use software correction as a resort to cut production cost associates with optically correct lenses (and to keep the size of the lens down).  m.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 would be a good compromise, but I am willing to accept that and the smaller zoom range probably is Oly's commitment to make m4/3 as competitive as 12-60mm SWD without cheating too much on optical quality by using software solution.

After all, it is the size of 4/3 lenses that spelled the doom of the 4/3 format, despite the reason behind such big lenses is for optical perfection, which general public don't seem to have the sophistication to observe.  Cash is the king in business, and you design what the general public wants, not necessarily what's the best....  Even Olympus executives were baffled with the success of m4/3 over 4/3's, but who would argue with their customers?

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow