Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
David Rosser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303Gear list
Like?
Re: The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene
In reply to Elyharbour, 11 months ago

Elyharbour wrote:

David Rosser wrote:

One further point analysing the data in RawDigger indicates that there is not much point in going faster than ISO 200 when shooting RAW only. If you need ISO 800 shoot at ISO200 and dial in -2EV exposure compensation followed by processing in Light room and boosting the exposure there by 2EV should give same or better result. That's the theory anyway - I have not checked it yet so I may be wrong.

That's an interesting approach! I wonder if it'll work and give less noise than ISO800? I might give that a try tonight.

I just did and I can't see any significant difference between the 2 methods which is as you would expect really.

Ref. your comment on the availability of DR200 / 400, from what I've observed you can't run at say DR400 if you've fixed the ISO level below this. Which when you think of it makes sense...because DR400 needs at least ISO400 or Auto to work (and DR200 needs at least ISO200).

Duhhh Of course you are right. I am not thinking straight and as has been pointed out that is explained in the literature about the X20.

There's a lot to learn isn't there! I'm about a week ahead of you in owning an X20 and still there's a bunch of stuff I haven'y tried yet.

There is a lot top learn and I will be taking it as my main camera to Greece in a few weeks time (I don't want to lug my DSLR kit around on an archeological study holiday) so I've got to crack on.

-- hide signature --
 David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow