Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JiminDenver
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,161Gear list
Like?
One step forward, two steps back
Sep 10, 2013

I've been down this road before with Oly. The EM 1 may be in Olys eye a replacement for the E 5, but in my eyes it is not a upgrade, it's a appeasement and a gateway into a new system.

Lets see, bought into the OM system over 3 decades ago. Nice glass but when tech marched on, Oly had it's feet stuck in the mud. By the time they came out with AF it was subpar and not worth the investment.

Move to digital with the 8080. Slow in some ways but still king of the hill at the time. When it came time for the upgrade I hoped for more MP, faster focus, better buffer....wait the new one is the 7070 and a downgrade...oh yippy.

That route isn't going anywhere, move up to 4/3s. The 300 was a decent starting point but needed better glass to shine and at least when they made the 330 it WAS a upgrade with better features and the only true PDAF focusing system for our lenses. However when the shop said they had it's upgrade they showed me a Pen...what a joke.

Once again the road forward is blocked so it's time to move on up to the Pro level. E 3 was nice, focusing with the 12-60 was worth it and even replacing my 50-200 with the new one. Upgrade to the E 5 was a worth it for the better ISOs, lower AA filter, etc.

Now we have the EM 1. I'll wait to actually see the focus but a lag in the EVF and no C-AF on MY lenses is a killer. The E 5 isn't the best C-AF but I can still get the shot.  Path forward...none

BUT wait you say, just buy the new lenses for the new system and it'll be fine. And there's the point of it all. BUY a NEW system that if you want the best out of it, BUY new glass. Not This time.

To ad insult to injury they had the E 7 R&D done but with held it...NICE I can understand that few of us may buy it and fewer new 4/3s lenses. Selling only the EM 1 means that people will invest in those new lenses.

OLY, I didn't want a new system. I didn't want a back door to my system that will cripple the C-af and make tracking a 3mm jumper near impossible.

So what is my path forward now. Not the EM 1 for sure. Since I want to advance my macro and Oly, the once king of macro seems only interested scratching the surface, I guess I'll finally give in and get that MP-E65 and a Canon body. I have held off since the 35mm/EC 20 combo gives near the magnification and I didn't want another system but then someone mentioned that with a 2x converter under the MP-E65 would do 10x life AND I'll have a OVF to track with.

You all know the old saying...fool me once, shame on you.... 4 times is enough for this old boy.

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

JiminDenver's gear list:JiminDenver's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +15 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
GaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow