Pro Low-Light on X20

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
Re: Pro Low-Light on X20
In reply to timo, 7 months ago

timo wrote:

That technique can be useful with any camera, even a DSLR, provided the subject isn't moving. Stacking five or preferably more high ISO shots in Autopano Pro (for example) reduces noise while preserving texture better than NR software, I think - although NR processing and high ISO performance have both improved over the years, and so I do it less than I used to a few years ago.

-- hide signature --

tim

Yes, I certainly agree with your point about it being better than conventional NR reduction processing which smears the detail. I struggled to get a high quality image out of the X20 at ISO800 yesterday, yet with frame stacking in-camera it was very good. I'm sure any multi-frame blending software would do the same or better - in fact I've seen it with Photomatix HDR processing as well. The X20 (and Sony) in-camera processing does actually seem allow a certain amount of movement and reduce/eliminate ghosting, up to a point anyway.

Coming from APS-C sensors in the past few years, I was a bit dismayed that the X20 ISO400-800 range is as noisy as it is, but the results from the multi-frame techniques mean I don't have to put it away when the sun goes down.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow