Olympus OM-D E-M1 and dpreview's new image quality tool - do you agree?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M1 and dpreview's new image quality tool - do you agree?
11 months ago

I reviewed the dpreview's new image quality tool and find it quite helpful.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/9

I picked 4 following cameras in the tool: EM1, EM5, Panasonic's new GX1, and Nikon's flagship DX camera D7100. I clicked on the light bulb above the tool to achieve I assume difficult artificial lighting. I then selected a square on the top of the brown hair in the center toward the right. I find that these hair are usually really difficult subjects for cameras to depict especially at high ISOs.

I then switched to RAW, and selected ISO1600 on the four cameras. At 100% I thought EM1 was clearly the best. NIkon D7100 came second. EM5 came third. and the new GX1 came the last.

I moved to ISO3200 RAW with the same four cameras. At 100% I thought EM1 still won. Nikon D7100 came second. This time GX1 was better than EM5. EM5 came last.

I then switched Nikon D7100 with Fuji XPRO1 and XPRO1 went to quickly beat the remaining cameras at both ISO1600 and 3200, however, I found the difference between XPRO1 and EM1 less than half stop.

AT both ISO1600 and especially ISO3200, I found a difference between EM1 and EM5 to be more than a stop.

Are others in agreement with my visual observations, or am I off base?

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Jim,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow