Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Jonathan Siegel
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy
In reply to newfounder, 7 months ago

This has been something of an issue for me for a long time, as I travel very frequently. At the moment, I run with a 20mm f3.5(Voigtlander), 50mm f1.2, and an 85mm f1.4 for my D700. I carry all three lenses all the time, wherever I go when I travel. This generally works very well, but there are a few instances where I wish I had something much longer, like a 135 f2 or the 80-200 f2.8(neither of which I own, but I want...). For example, just went to Halong Bay with my family, and kept wishing for something much longer, to get a shot of those little mountains popping out of the water, sans tour boats that litter the water there. While I managed some good shots, it would have been far better with something longer.

There is the issue, anything longer than 85mm is big, and heavy. My 20mm, 50mm and 85mm set is lightweight(for someone my size), and fairly compact. Whereas if I decided to bring an 80-200mm along(if I ever get my hands on one), I would have to rethink my setup. Till that day, three lenses, I think, is the way to go. Three primes I should say, unless you're hiking or exploring the countryside,  I still prefer fast primes for low-light city shots and night shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow