autre_pensee
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
Re: gpu accleration with darktable and GIMP
In reply to Russell Evans, Sep 10, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

klaminero wrote:

I went with a fractal node 304 case

I don't get it? The fractal node case has dimensions of 9.84" x 8.27" x 14.72" The foot print to place it anywhere is 8.27" x 14.72". A random ATX case I found at Newegg is 19.89" x 17.52" x 7.67". It's foot print is 17.52" x 7.67". Do you need to care how tall the case is? Three more inches in depth and about the same width for the foot print isn't doable? What are you getting with that system other than a tighter space that is harder to work with?

Thank you
Russell

Hello Russell,

Yes actually, the fact that the case is small(er), albeit far from as small as i wanted, means I can transport it in a carry on should I move. Since a move-by-plane is a big probability in the near future, this was a pre-requisite. The only alternative would have been to get a large case, and in the event of the move forego the case and transport the MOBO/proc/fan/ram combo by itself in a carry on. I have done that before and have had damage to the kit so if i could i wanted to avoid it.

However, I agree with you that the line is much less clear with the fractal than when i was talking about the antek case.

I decided on the Asus Z87i-deluxe MOBO, because the motherboard was lower power, included WIFIac and BT and least but not last, has a displayPort which I plan on using. However, this MOBO also has a digi module which stands upright on the left side of the board

Here is a picture of the Z87i-deluxe MOBO

And here is a picture of the inside of the case (Antec ISK310-150)

As you can see, the module would obstruct airflow from the case fan. I was worried that would lead to warmer temps and higher speed fans/noise.

This is why i decided against the smaller 310-150 and went with the fractal. This is not my first choice, but the most portable solution I could find while retaining silence of operation and processing power.

THank you for your time/

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000 + 18-105 + 50mm f1.8g + 70-300 VC
SONY HX-100V

autre_pensee's gear list:autre_pensee's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow