Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,397Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy
In reply to Jeff Klofft, Sep 10, 2013

Jeff Klofft wrote:

Whenever I travel with my camera and want to take a smaller DSLR kit, I seem to always face the dilemma: do I take something simple like a superzoom (and maybe a small wide lens or wide-zoom) or something like a wide-zoom paired with a tele-zoom (and maybe a small 50). With the former I give up some quality for convenience and few lens changes but at the cost of image quality. With the other set, it’s just the opposite.

Now I know that sometimes the destination makes this choice obvious, but all things being equal, I’d be curious to know what everyone else does. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

I tend to error on the side of taking the most equipment I can for the occasion without slowing me down, and usually err on the side of what is going to give me the best images.

I am a bit equipment-limited for having light travel options, in that I tend to have a  few high IQ lenses (is 6 or 7 lenses " a few"?), and if I want to travel light, it means primes rather than a slower zoom which I don't own.

For instance, I have a 24-70, but not a lighter 24-85.

And I don't have any FX zooms over 3x, such as  the 24-120VR, or 38-300VR or even the 80-400VR (less than half the weight of the 200-400VR that I have heavily used!).

Maybe as I get older and my eyes are less critical, my back weaker, and a few less marbles rolling around in my head, I might buy a few wider range zooms. I can see where it might be nice traveling with a 24-120 and 80-400. Right now, I'm a sucker for high IQ lenses.

Some folks are happy with their iPhones. Others will look at the output from their 500VR and curse the fact that they don't have a 600VR.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow