Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Diaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,910Gear list
Like?
The Camera Upgrade Myth
Sep 9, 2013

There are so many posters and posts about upgrading your camera to the latest and greatest. I would like to dispel a few of these MYTHS.

1. Upgrading will make you take better pictures.

No it won't. Learning how to use your camera better and studying other photographers and learning how to edit your RAW files properly will.

2. More megapixels means better resolution.

yes it does, but only if you're printing billboards or cropping half your photos away would you be able to tell.

3. But the color depth and DR is so much better on the latest model.

Sure it is, now go make an 8X10 print from a D50 and a D300. Taken by a good photographer and try to tell me which camera took which shot. You'll be wrong 50% of the time.

I could go on and on with each excuse photographers give for wanting to upgrade but I'd be here all day. If you really want to improve your photography here are a few pointers that will give you far better results than a camera upgrade.

1. Buy the best glass you can afford.

This is by far the best piece of equipment for your gear.

2. Buy an external flash.

Learn how to use it.

3. Get a monopod and turn off VR for sport shooting.

Learn how to use it.

4. Take lots of pictures in different settings, shooting in manual mode.

This will force you to learn your camera and about photography.

5. Shoot in RAW and invest in decent software for editing.

This is the digital age, so yes if you want the best out of your DSLR, You need to!

Following this advise you really should only need an upgrade in your camera every 4-5 years. Unless there is a monumental break through in technology that makes your camera obsolete.

Or you land a job shooting for Vogue, Sports Illustrated, or National Geographic.

Taken with a D90

Cheers, Now go have fun shooting with your current gear and be happy

Daniel Diaz

-- hide signature --

Please visit my website at
www.danielsdiaz.com

Daniel Diaz's gear list:Daniel Diaz's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D50 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
MomNew
tkoNew
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow