The F2.8 choice, 12-40mm vs 12-35mm

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,417Gear list
Like?
A small correction or two
In reply to azazel1024, Sep 9, 2013

azazel1024 wrote:

I guess it just depends. Do you need the closer focus? It is double the reproduction size of the Panny (well, close). It also goes to 40mm, which is not an inconsiderable difference depending on what you are shooting. It also is a constant length where as the Panny is a dust pumper (made up term). The weather sealing may also be better on the Olympus, but that is pure conjecture, I have heard of no problems with the Panasonic's weather sealing.

77g is a fair amount heavier, but it is only 20%,

Just a small correction - it's 25 per cent heavier.

it isn't half again or double the weight.

We'll have to wait to see optical quality.

I deffinitely have to say though, unless the 40-150/2.8 comes in a huge weight/size penalty on the Panasonic 35-100/2.8, a set of Olympus 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8 would probably be a lot more flexible than the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8.

I would certainly be more flexible in terms of reach, but you could always pair the Panny 12-35 with the Oly 40-150.

Without having used any of the discussed lenses, the Pany 12-35 seems pretty solid, but from what I have seen the 35-100 is a little weak, especially wide open and on the longer end.

I haven't used the lenses for any significant amount of time either (I played with the 12-35 in a shop and was quite impressed), but from what I've read in reviews it's actually the 35-100 which is the stronger performer of the two.

I could deffinite (okay, fingers crossed) see the Olympus 40-150/2.8 being a lot better optical quality. It could be, but no idea.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow