Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff Klofft
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,533
Like?
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy
In reply to Brev00, Sep 9, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

Jeff Klofft wrote:

Whenever I travel with my camera and want to take a smaller DSLR kit, I seem to always face the dilemma: do I take something simple like a superzoom (and maybe a small wide lens or wide-zoom) or something like a wide-zoom paired with a tele-zoom (and maybe a small 50). With the former I give up some quality for convenience and few lens changes but at the cost of image quality. With the other set, it’s just the opposite.

Now I know that sometimes the destination makes this choice obvious, but all things being equal, I’d be curious to know what everyone else does. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Exactly what sort of traveling are you doing that necessitates this choice?

For example, my daughter and I went to London and Cambridge UK this spring and I didn't want to be lugging a lot of extra gear.  For this trip I had my D800, an 18-35, 70-300 and a 50 f/1.8.  It was a nice kit and I got some fine images.  A few times I did feel like I was missing a mid-range zoom, but now enough to add another lens.  This is what got me thinking about the super zoom.

I just finished a year traveling more than ever before (Hawaii, Bermuda, Oregon, Lake George) and found myself able to take both sets of choices to each location. I rely on your second choice for the majority of situations: a 17-70 os with a 70-300 vc.

So that would suggest a mid-range zoom and tele-zoom?  I might want something wider.  Did you?

But, I also have a very light and small Tamron 28-300 which marries very well with my Tokina 12-24 for the first type of kit you describe. I like the second setup for those situations lens changing may not be indicated: boating, volcano viewing, etc. All four lenses fit in the either of my two bags and can be carried on a plane. I can drop all the gear at a hotel and take what I need for the day. If I had to choose one or the other due to some kind of restriction, I would take the superzoom setup. The light weight and convenience combined with an iq that is fine for me would be decisive. Especially if I am traveling with others who do not share my passion for pictures. If there was a lot of fast action involved, I would have to go with the 70-300 vc.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow