what is the gp-1A about?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Questions thread
Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
Re: Save yourself $300
In reply to inasir1971, 7 months ago

inasir1971 wrote:

The GP-1A looks pretty much like the GP-1 which I have.

Let me save you $300 - don't get it, it sucks. For $300 bucks you expect something that is sort of useful.

Cr@ppy things about the GP-1:

• needs good view of sky to get signal, slow lock
  • GPS coordinates are only recorded when the unit has a lock (i.e. anytime something blocks the sky, you have no GPS data and no location info) - e.g. it doesn't use the last known position when you enter a building
  • incredibly inconvenient - stiff cable which dwarfs the unit gets in the way of everything
  • mounting on the hot shoe means flash cannot be opened
  • while the unit has a cable to connect to a 10 pin socket, there is no way to connect a 10 pin remote to the unit - so people using 10 pin remotes are supposed to buy another remote?
  • no direction information - though the camera will display it (I believe some alternatives to, which would be good for logging direction shot taken)
  • they have actually raised the price on this??? I think it was around $200+

If you really want to throw away $300 - send it to me. Alternatively give it to charity.

Alternate solutions:

• take a picture with your smart phone at every location you want to log and copy the data from the smart phone picture using View NX - smart phones use assisted GPS and are far more accurate and many (like iPhones) will have a location inside buildings etc. Even if you were using a GP-1 mounted to your camera, you will most likely not have GPS data for most images for the reasons above and will have to copy.
  • run an application on your smart phone like gps4cam
  • try an alternative product like Aokatec (around $80)- in order to be worse than the Nikon GP-1, it would have to be so incredibly poor. If it mounts on the camera like it's supposed to, it's already doing better.

All true. I despise that wallet sucker. I bought a Nikon 100AW for GPS fixes and transfer the co-ordinates. Lot more useful than the hot shoe warmer.

New materials? That's a bit scary. Like the battery latches on the old D200/MB-100? grip?

Oh and let's not forget the price gouge. Have a look at http://www.photoprice.ca and see.

Like the insulting D800 grip price ripoff, I'd never buy these sort of Nikon accessories ever again.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow