Travel Lens Kit Philosophy

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel Lens Kit Philosophy
In reply to Jeff Klofft, Sep 9, 2013

Jeff Klofft wrote:

Whenever I travel with my camera and want to take a smaller DSLR kit, I seem to always face the dilemma: do I take something simple like a superzoom (and maybe a small wide lens or wide-zoom) or something like a wide-zoom paired with a tele-zoom (and maybe a small 50). With the former I give up some quality for convenience and few lens changes but at the cost of image quality. With the other set, it’s just the opposite.

Now I know that sometimes the destination makes this choice obvious, but all things being equal, I’d be curious to know what everyone else does. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Exactly what sort of traveling are you doing that necessitates this choice?  I just finished a year traveling more than ever before (Hawaii, Bermuda, Oregon, Lake George) and found myself able to take both sets of choices to each location.  I rely on your second choice for the majority of situations:  a 17-70 os with a 70-300 vc.  But, I also have a very light and small Tamron 28-300 which marries very well with my Tokina 12-24 for the first type of kit you describe.  I like the second setup for those situations lens changing may not be indicated:  boating, volcano viewing, etc.  All four lenses fit in the either of my two bags and can be carried on a plane.  I can drop all the gear at a hotel and take what I need for the day.  If I had to choose one or the other due to some kind of restriction, I would take the superzoom setup.  The light weight and convenience combined with an iq that is fine for me would be decisive.  Especially if I am traveling with others who do not share my passion for pictures.  If there was a lot of fast action involved, I would have to go with the 70-300 vc.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow