Started Sep 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 18,006
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6 mini review from full frame user
In reply to ThePhilips, Sep 9, 2013

ThePhilips wrote:

3. If you are not in close up or street photography there is still a strong point for more DOF: when taking pictures of kids or pictures of more people. With a full frame DSLR you need to stop down to make sure that all persons are in focus. It happened to me a couple of times that I shot at f2.8 just to find out that the second face is out of focus.

[...] A perfect sensor is of no use if the image is not in focus. [...]

*Nod*.

People routinely forget about this important difference: larger DOF also means less OOF shots. And even some OOFs are still good for web resolutions.

Many years ago I went with Oly 43 cams and the larger DOF was one of the major reason. Now, without much thought, I'm too buying into the m43.

But you do have to remember that you can always stop down a lens to get more DOF.  Sure, you might have to increase your ISO to compensate for this, but FF cameras have superior high ISO performance anyway.  In other words, if you want "larger DOF", you can certainly get it with FF, and without the need to change systems.  So I certainly wouldn't use "larger DOF" as a reason for moving from FF to m4/3.  The main reason to move from FF to m4/3 is to decrease the size and bulk of your camera equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow