Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LeeStG
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Full frame shooter but need to travel light
10 months ago

I've already started quite a long winded thread about my upcoming trip to London and my need to travel light, more for physical reasons.....i.e. enjoyment vs most probable aches, pains and crankiness caused by 1 and 2.  I would really like to preserve image quality as best as I can.

After catching up and realizing my so called prized Canon bodies are all practically relics (Rebel xti ...which I knew, 30D and 5D M1, I'm still in a quandary here.  I am most used to using the 5D M1 however, after repeatedly testing it out walking around, I fear the weight of it paired with a good lens is just going to bother me.

First thing........I cannot afford at the moment to just go out and buy whatever the most logical improvement would be.  It's just not feasible for me to spend more than 200, 300 dollars tops and that would have to include an extra battery and memory cards.  So, it seems as though I either make do with what I have or I rent.

The Rebel xti seems to have the weight that seems most comfortable for me.  As much as I try to avoid this, it just feels more "do-able" for hours and hours of walking around London which is my travel destination.

I have some really great lenses but almost all are L glass and geared more for full frame.  At least.......I think so.  What determines image quality more.........the glass or the body?  I can take that a 17-40L lens won't give me the same focal length on a crop body but I wonder about a few things.  I'm noticing that my Rebel xti's battery drains a lot quicker than any of the batteries I have ever used on my 30d and 5d.  I just found a replacement battery for the two I have had for years which seem to drain in 30 minutes or sooner.  This one seems ok but it's still at 50% after what I think is a short time.  I don't want to load up on more xti batteries and spend my nights worrying about charging them all for the next day.  What is the reason for the drain? The body itself, Rebels in general or pairing an xti with an L lens?  I honestly don't know.

So, my options seem to be:

Keep the xti and just bring along whatever lenses I think I'll need.

Rent another lens for the xti and make it an efs lens made specifically for a crop body

Rent a more up to date Rebel series body.  If I do that, should I just pair it with my L glass or rent an efs lens as well?

Give up completely and rent either a G1X or G12?  Those are the only two non dslr rental options I have for Canon.

I think I need to stick with Canon as that's all I have ever shot and can't be dumb enough to not only rent something I've never used but also rent something non Canon on top of it.  I do have a an old Sony Cyber Shot which I can't use anymore so I suppose I could rent something from Sony but all I really see is the RX 100 and I don't know how fast I would learn it.  I literally have no time to learn much and don't want to blow shots because of this.

Anyone want to give this a shot?  Ah, to be young and stupid and have zero back and joint issues but ........it is what it is.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow