Started Sep 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
Selling Sony Gear / Must Re-invest Proceeds in M4/3
Sep 8, 2013

Well, I took the plunge and sold my Sony SLT-A57 a week ago, and am in the process of selling off the lenses and flash. My wonderful wife has told me that I can apply the sale proceeds towards more m4/3 gear, as opposed to using the money for boring things like bills or groceries. So, I’m asking for opinions from you as to get the most bang for my bucks. The Sony Alpha market is a bit depressed right now, so worst case I expect to end up with maybe $1200-$1300.

Here’s what I have today:

-Olympus OM-D E-M5 with only 3200 shutter actuations (I also have the Olympus two-year extended warranty for it, with about 21 months coverage left)

-JB Designs camera grip for the E-M5

-Olympus E-PL2 camera

-Oly FL50R flash, along with an FL300R flash (and of course, the little add-on flash that came with the camera)

-Prime lenses: Panny 14mm, Panny 20mm, Oly 45mm, Oly 60mm macro

-Zoom lenses: Oly 14-42, 12-50, and 40-150

Here’s what I photograph:

-Friends and family

-Travel (landscapes, museums / historic buildings in the USA)

-Insect macros.

-Animals and birds in the farmyard next door and in the nearby metroparks (although I’m not really a rabid “birder”)

-NO sports or auto racing; in fact, very few action shots period

Given that my OMD only has 3200 actuations and is under warranty, it seems a bit unnecessary to swap it out for the E-M1 or Panasonic GX7 (although I would certainly love to have them if money were no object). So, buying a new lens or two is probably the most productive thing to do. If possible, I’d like a lens(es) that will allow me to do things I otherwise could not do (my recent acquisition of the 60mm macro lens would be a good example of this), or do the things I currently do in a noticeably better way.

Anyway, if you’re still awake after reading all this I’d love to hear feedback about what you would do if you were in my situation. Obviously I have been thinking of several possibilities (including buying the new Oly 12-40), but I’m hoping somebody out there has ideas I haven’t thought about.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow