Started Sep 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
Apologies to Great Bustard and gollywop
Sep 8, 2013

I posted a photo yesterday; one that I liked and believed was a demonstration of the E-M5's dynamic range and noise characteristics at ISO 1600. I was pretty pleased that I had gotten a good and (to me) pleasing image in harsh, mid-sunny-day light at such a high ISO setting. I attributed that to the the fact that I had exposed to the right, just enough to capture shadow detail while not losing the highlights.

Great Bustard and gollywop tried to point out to me that I could have gotten the very same result at ISO 800, keeping the other settings the same and just using a different strategy to adjust the rendering in Lightroom. I argued that, based on my experience, pushing an ISO 800 image couldn't give me shadow detail as clean as what I could get by pulling an ISO 1600 image.

Having now read gollywop's excellent article on this subject (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8148042898/exposure-vs-brightening) and re-examined some of my images, I realize that I had allowed my preconceived and poorly informed expectations to mislead me in the way I was interpreting my results. Worse yet, I met the offer of informed advice with defensiveness and a closed mind. Shame on me.

Thank you Great Bustard and gollywop for setting me straight. Please forgive me for being a knucklehead.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow