Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Re: What is advantage and disadvantage between X-trans vs Bayer array
In reply to flbrit, 10 months ago

Randy Benter wrote:

ealvarez wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Why do you think then Fuji had to develop this new x-trans if no great deal of benefit come out of it? Why not just stay with 'proven' Bayer array? You seems to have the most comprehensive information in your reply and I wonder if you could share your further thoughts about the future of x-trans. I mean Fuji must have had invested a lot of time and money into this X-trans system. Do you share the opinion of many people who think that X-trans is a purely marketing gimmick?

Ed

I would not call it a marketing gimmick. With X-Trans and also with past EXR sensors, I believe Fuji is continually trying to develop sensors that perform better. That is not an easy task as Bayer sensors and algorithms have been incrementally improved over many years. So far, I think they have come up with sensors that offer slight improvements in some areas while being slightly weaker in other areas. Sigma Foveon sensors are similar in this regard; they have awesome detail at low ISO, but poor Hi-ISO performance, large files that slow the camera operation and poor battery life.

All camera makers try to market features that set their products apart from the competition. And they all tend to make lofty claims about the effectiveness of those features. Look at the vendor web page for just about any camera and you will likely find a paragraph describing the improved low-light performance of that particular model.

As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology.

"As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology."

My main concern is not so much the sensor, rather the future of the X mount itsself. I have a nice X-E1, 14mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit but will not at this time invest in more lenses until I'm more confident that the mount and future X mount cameras will continue for a while.

I am loving the output and weight saving.

I am very tempted by the Fujifilm f1.4's and the WA zooms but will resist at this moment.

I really believe the camera market is going through a major shake up bought on by the global economy and technology change which is IMO about to take a leap rather than an incremental advance. The shake out will be very interesting.

Brian

It's sensible to take a conservative approach of course, but one of the reasons I bought into the X-series is because of Fujifilm's corporate philosophy. They have a tradition of taking a long-term view and making long-term strategic commitments in order to develop new business lines. While Kodak was busy maximizing short-term profits, Fujifilm was investing its light-sensitive chemicals experience into a cosmetics business (of all things) which is now extremely successful.
I think the evidence points to the idea that they wouldn't have created the X-series without having a long-term commitment to it, and the pace of new lens development and the fact that they are going for quality before volume points in the same direction.
Fujifilm is much more financially secure than Olympus, less reliant on the camera business alone than Nikon, and less flaky than Sony.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow