Panasonic G6 mini review from full frame user

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,425
Like?
Re: Panasonic G6 mini review from full frame user
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 7 months ago

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Thank you. Maybe I'm stupid but why should I loose image quality when I use only part of the sensor?

Of course, "image quality" is a very vague and nebulous term.   But in very general terms you loose "image quality" whenever you have to enlarge an image more than "usual", whether it's because you're starting from a smaller sensor, cropping, or displaying/printing the image at a large size.   The "IQ" loss is due to factors such as reduced resolution (the bigger the pixels are reproduced, the less sharp the result), extra noise (you loose the noise averaging effects that occur when you show the picture at a small scale and noise in adjacent pixels is averaged out), etc.

When you use only part of the sensor, you have a smaller diagonal to work with.   So if you show the results (on a monitor or via printing) at the same diagonal size as uncropped images, then you're having to enlarge a little bit more and hence, I assume, the claim of "IQ" loss.

Personally, though, I think the effect is pretty small, and it's totally dependent on the idea that you're going to reproduce the image at the same diagonal size.   I can easily imagine scenarios where that wouldn't be the case.

Still, the multi-aspect sensor used on the GH1 and GH2 eliminated the issue altogether, and it's a shame that it hasn't been a feature in the latest generation of cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow