Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Tried it out
In reply to JohnBuoy, Sep 8, 2013

JohnBuoy wrote:

First of all thanks for all on this site who found and tested the RX100 Meikon housing -- am a snorkeler who had very mixed results with compact waterproofs (TX5 and D20) but was put off by cost of branded housings. As per others general comments pleased with the quality of mine and note fasteners appear to be stainless but not sure about the non hot hot shoe - "tripod" plate looks like stainless. Company aside from not main stream appears to take product seriously i.e. very cautious detailed care instructions. In use no probs but see below, I live now in Asia so no need for gloves - suspect this would be a big issue esp the rotating knobs, yes the front one on my example slips a little but not a big issue - snorkelling and changing settings while in the water do not mix at least not for me - set, forget chase fish!

One big issue I have is misting of inside of housing lens. I strongly suspect this is not a fault of my housing rather a combination of very high ambient humidity and high air / water temperature. Lens mists up after say 15 / 30 mins of being in the water and camera is not usable. If I put it in the shade (not having opened case) after few minutes mist clears but reappears after being in the sun / water. Any cure suggestions? Think pro scuba divers use a gell in housings but this will be difficult to obtain here.

Last point am using an Eye Fi mobi card so that I do not have to open housing while on beach / dive boat - works well with my iPad - read the prod description though as does have limitations.

John

I always put some bags of moist absorbers or simply rolls of tissue paper inside the housing, if I shoot near surface like this one

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow