Started Sep 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,266Gear list
Like?
Update to my experience with the Canon Pixma Pro-100
Sep 7, 2013

I posted a report last week of my experiences with my new Pro-100, mostly with respect to black and white performance, which I find very impressive. Since then, I've been trying out other aspects of the printer, and am still mightily impressed. In my first testing, I got great results using photo rag paper with black and white. I found that letting the printer handle color, and checking the "black and white photo" box produces great neutral prints. If you want toned black and white, that's easy too, but you don't check the black and white photo box. Adjust the toning with the color controls. You can get pretty much any tone you want. I've also tried a black and white print on Canon Pro Luster paper, and that gives great results too.

I've recently been doing some more color printing, on both glossy and luster. I have a fair bit of Epson Premium glossy paper left over, so I thought I'd see how well the Canon prints on that. I selected Canon Pro Glossy (or something like that) for the paper type, and got great results. I like the Canon Pro Luster paper even better. I've printed 4X6 in glossy borderless, and letter size in both glossy and luster, bordered and borderless. The results have been uniformly terrific. I've been very impressed with how well the prints turn out when I let the printer handle colors. I always turned color management over to Photoshop, when printing with Epson. With this Canon printer, I've printed a couple of comparisons of the same shot letting the printer handle colors on the one hand, and turning color management over to Lightroom using ICC profiles on the other. The results were identical, and a great match for what I see on my iMac screen.

Finally, today, I thought I'd see what the printer could do at its maximum print size and quality. I used a landscape shot, which I'd enhanced to my taste. I printed from the RAW in Lightroom, so as to use the 16 bit setting. I printed on 13 X 19 Pro Luster paper, using the high quality setting (most of my other printing so far has been the normal quality setting, which is still really good), 16 bit, borderless, and let the printer handle color. It took a while to print (I was using the wireless connection, which slows it down a bit), but the result was simply stunning. It's going right up on my wall.

One other neat feature of this printer, which is really just a gimmick, but quite cool: I can print wirelessly from my iPhone, using something called "airprint". It doesn't seem to let you select many options, but it turns out really nice 4 X 6 prints in short order.

Given that Adorama currently has some really great deals on this printer, which bring the price down to under $100 after rebate, anyone looking for a great inexpensive photo printer should consider the Pro-100.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow