Like?
Re: Not so easy
In reply to cosmonaut, Sep 7, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

jackgreen wrote:

I dont argue about portability of Olympus. But it's just pretty much useless in bad light.

So, I would ask, If You leave take Olympus with you, due to small size and portability, spend energy on shooting and there is no outcome...

-- hide signature --

My hobby www.jackdevant.com

That is complete hyperbole.

The A99 has a 1 stop gain in ISO performance over the OMD. 1 stop. The OMD is on par with all of the current APS-C Sony SLTs. Are those useless in bad light as well?

Have you ever actually used the OMD (or any of the current gen pens with the new Sony sensright

I disagree. I have shot landscapes at 1600 and 3200 ISO with my a99 and my OMD E-M5 can't touch that high in an actual print. Large prints with my E-M5, 32x24 are really not good even at 1600 ISO. The usable limit for a nice quality print with OMD seems to be 800iso. Its more like 2 to 2 1/2 stops.

The new Sony sensor in the OMD is actually old Sony technology and any compact out there is better. Its probably on par with the NEX5. Plus the E-M1 is not going to have a new sensor in it. It's behind the eight ball before its even released.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

I assume you have shot the identical scene with identical lighting and exposure settings to come to this conclusion. If so I would love to see the actual files, raw preferably.

If you're comparing random shots that happen to be taken at the same ISO but in different light or subjects, that won't tell you anything about sensor performance.

Yes I have shot the same subject at the same time. One camera being used for time lapse the other stills. But both were set to the highest level of image quality. Both RAW. I really like the E-M5 don't think I don't. For wildlife the crop factor and image stabilization are nice. Every system has a drawback. Olympus has the best compact camera in performance even though its been on the market a long time. The noise levels is its only negative. Well it could use some more dynamic range as well.

Olympus has a bad habit of wrapping and old sensor in a new body to many times. I really wish the E-M1 had came with a new sensor or at best a new image processor.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Cool, my next camera will probably be the EM-1 or the A99, depending on how good the EM-1 looks I might sell my DSLRs and go all in with M43. Though there is a good chance that the EM-1 won't be able to keep up in the AF department, in which case I'll probably replace the A900 with an A99. One of the biggest reasons I haven't so far is the reportedly marginal improvement in high ISO over the A900.

So again I would love to see actual images taken of the same subject, same light, same settings between the EM-5 and A99.

The EM-5 was the first camera to use the Sony M43rd sensor, so I'm not sure what you're getting at by calling it old etc. Sure, Olympus has a history of re-purposing that crappy old panasonic 12mp sensor, hopefully the new sensor in the EM-1 is actually a new sensor and not just a tweaked version of the OM-D sensor, until its out we can't really say one way or the other.

In the same token though, Sony doesn't even use its best sensors in its own cameras, ie: the sensor in the D800, and when they do, you lose 1/3rd of the light to the SLT, ie: compare the A99 to the D600 which share the same sensor. So its not like Sony is really on the top of the game when it comes to even their own sensors.

I will be really curious to see Sony's FF NEX, and the mirrorless A mount cameras that are rumored. If the on sensor PDAF is up to traditional DSLR AF I might seriously consider one of those cameras over the EM-1 or A99. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow