Started Sep 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMG1397
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nikon d7100 lens recommendations?
Sep 7, 2013

Wasn't sure what category to put this under to be honest. Regardless, my question is what lens/lenses should i get as a first time nikon buyer (I Have knowledge and have used DSLR's in the past just don't own one currently). Ive been slightly under the debate of Zoom's vs Primes and still haven't decided between the two. Primes seem to draw to me because even though they are not as convenient they seems to be getting better ratings for quality (Less issue like zoom creep and distortion). I have around $800 to spend on lenses alone and really don't know what to get. Ill be doing everything from low light to wildlife, I know im not going to be able to get everything i need but i want a good start that's better than the kit lens. I may upgrade to a FX later on but a DX only lens isnt a deal breaker for me. VR is also important to me but not a deal breaker either. Nikkor vs sigma/tamron doesn't bother me to much but would rather keep it with the same company hence why the entire list below is Nikkor. Below is the list i made of recommended lenses from random sources but not sure as to what ones i should get or what combination.

50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens $220

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR $550

55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX $350

60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor $500

40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens $280

28mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR $700

35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens $200

16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR $600

24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S $600

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II $800

Maybe there are some even better lenses in my budget range that i didn't mention if so please let me know. If anyone has a recommendation for what lens/lenses i should get that would be very much appreciated!!!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow