Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wilu
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1
In reply to Kwick1, Sep 6, 2013

Kwick1 wrote:

Okay, before you start saying "Apples and Oranges", I know they are. My problem is that there's a twist at the end.

I used to love the a900 - probably the best ergonomics of any camera I've handled. And I absolutely love Zeiss glass.

The a99 looks to be a great update. Yes, a few drawbacks like the battery life, but the dynamic range and color rendition is especially appealing (among other things). As I said the Zeiss glass is also huge - I'd be buying the 24-70, 85/1.4 and the 70-300G for wildlife (yes, I know not Zeiss, just G, but I don't want the weight of the 70-400).

Total weight for all that? Just under 7 lbs, not including extra batteries.

So then I read the leaks about the upcoming Olympus E-M1, which is supposedly being announced on Sept 10th. Micro 4/3rds has come a long way, but still not FF quality. But the question I keep asking is "What's good enough" for me?

With high-end m 4/3 glass (their new Olympus "Pro" 2.8 24-80 equiv lens, the Panny 35-100 2.8 and the Panny/Leica 25/1.4). Yeah, not Zeiss, but pretty damn good.

Total weight for all that? Estimated 2.9 lbs. Big difference.

Normally I'd wait and try them both, but here's the twist: I'm leaving on a trip on Oct 25th.

If I go for the new E-M1, I'd need to pre-order it the instant it's announced - and even then I don't know the exact delivery date.

I know the a99 is better quality, but that weight difference is huge, especially considering that I travel a LOT and mainly use my gear then.

Yes, I know this post is rambling, and I don't think there's a definite answer - basically this post is therapy to help me vent and decide before the Sept 10th launch date.

Oh, I can't afford both. Wish I could!

-- hide signature --

don't know the expectations you have for your gear. i too have and love the a900. had the Oly E-M5, now have the Panny GH3 for better ergonomics. my m43 gear consists of the Oly 9-18, the Pana 14-45 and the Pana 45-200 plus two Raynox macro lenses.

i think my expectations regarding IQ are "reasonable" - i want good quality but i'm not a pixel peeper. to me, my m43 gear meets these expectations (perhaps with the exception of the 9-18 with its quite soft corners). i take the a900 for shallow DOF and great ergonomics. i take the Pana for lightness and compactness (and the ergonomics are really good too). IQ is usually not the main criteria when deciding which camera to take out. if you buy the lenses you listed the IQ will only be better.

based on my experiences with FF and m43 and the fact that you seem to travel a lot i think the Oly makes more sense for you - though of course you can't yet know if the ergonomics and user interface will suit your needs. in the end a picture is more about content than about ultimate IQ (not saying that great IQ is a bad thing).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow