Started Sep 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DLeeT
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
RAW heresy?
Sep 6, 2013

I am relatively new to the NEX-6.  I have been shooting in RAW+JPEG and I've played with the camera enough that I’m suspicious that my editing efforts in RAW are in vain. I know than many pros and amateurs love RAW – I suspect that is because they have excellent editing skills and enjoy seeing a rather mundane RAW image transformed into something beautiful.

However, for a duffer-hobbyist like me I wonder if I can do better than the camera’s firmware at editing, particularly with my limited editing skills and – I wonder how important this is? – using whatever monitor/video card Dell happened to sell me! I decided to do an experiment to see if I could “beat the camera.”

Please excuse the boring subject, but it was convenient and had some color and contrast.

The first image is my best effort at editing the RAW image in ACR and PS Essentials 11. The second image was shot using Superior Auto in JPEG. The third shot was made using Auto HDR in speed priority mode because the camera was hand held, also JPEG. It is important to note that both JPEG images have NO post shot editing.

To my eye, my editing of the RAW image was a waste of time. I must like vivid colors because the third (Auto HDR) is my pick, especially if it were lightened up a bit. I suspect what is going on here is that for a duffer like me, I am unable to edit better than the firmware internal processing of modern cameras such as the NEX series. I don’t plan to abandoning shooting in RAW – perhaps I can improve my editing skills, but so far the camera wins.

Anyway, it would be interesting if others would try this simple experiment and post their results here. Play “Beat the Camera!”

Cheers, Lee

edited from RAW

Superior Auto JPEG

Auto HDR JPEG

DLeeT's gear list:DLeeT's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow