Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Heated debate about 17mm/1.8
In reply to Alexis D, Sep 6, 2013

Alexis D wrote:

Thanks for posting those.

I hope you don't mind if I post this crop from your sample. I downloaded your images, applied CA correction in LR, downsampled both images to 12MP and here is what they look like at the point of focus at 100%:

please view at 100% (click original)

This is about as fair a comparison as you can make - they've both had the benefit of CA correction and been re-sampled to 12MP.

The Sony is quite clearly better.

That's good thinking and fair.

Not exactly. The exposure is different. The one on the right is a tad over exposed and has lost detail in the white window frame and flowers as a result. This isn't down to the lens but rather user error. Do you have one with no clipped highlights? Did you shoot RAW?

In any case, is a single sample of this nature conclusive? Does it take into account low light, shallow DoF, focus speed and aquisition etc.. And if you use the Sony cam because it's better @ 35mm equivalent what do you do when you need 300mm? Go back to Olympus? In which case wouldn't you rather have the 17 instead? Apart from the over exposure are they so much different that you'd use the Sony instead based on these samples and regardless of all the other variables?

Your choice of course, but I'm happy with an OMD and 17mm f1.8. And all my other lenses getting me from 7.5mm fish through to 300mm and including 1:1 macro.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow