The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507
Like?
Re: The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene
In reply to alexisgreat, 11 months ago

alexisgreat wrote:

Okay first of all, I work with 7.5x10 prints and supposedly these are 7 MP (300 ppi) or 10 mp (360 ppi) depending on which make printer you are using- I use the former. Does this mean that even if the resolution is that high, that one cannot distinguish extra resolution above 6 MP?

Usually, pixels are measured differently from printer resolution; the former in ppi and the latter in dpi. Are you sure that your printer is 300 ppi, or is it 300 dpi?

Also, and this is something I've always wondered- I have heard that 16 MP on the HS series cameras performs more like 6 MP on a non EXR sensor. So when we use M size DR 400, does that mean the camera resolves half that much detail- that is, performs like 3 MP on a non EXR sensor? I dont think this is true, but I'd like to know in terms of lines per height (which is a traditional way of measuring resolution) how much we lose when going from L size to M size.

You will hear a lot of things, and most of it is false. At L size, a 12 MP EXR sensor, because of its different demosaicing algorithm, will give less apparent resolution than a camera that uses a 12MP sensor with a Bayer filter. The subjective estimates bandied around are "like a 9MP" or "like a 10MP," or similar statements, but it is difficult to see how that could be quantified with any precision. Now, I may be misinterpreting Kim Letkemans very detailed investigations, but if I understand it correctly, the effective resolution of an EXR sensor is not degraded by enhancing dynamic range in hardware EXR (that is, using M size). The reason he states: the pairing of photosites in the M size setting reduces the resolution destroying aspects of noise reduction. I encourage you to read his blog in detail: Kim' Letkeman's how-to

Also, with regards to DR 800 and 1600, are these the only combined EXR modes and are they reserved for M size and ISO 200 and 400 and up respectively? I think they might only be for M size, but I am not sure if they have a minimum ISO limitation.

DR800 and DR1600 are not available -- no way to select either -- except when the mode dial is set to EXR, and the submode of D-range Priority is selected from the menu.

EXR hardware dynamic range enhancement is available in P, A, S, and M settings of the mode dial, but only if M size is selected by menu and either DR200 or DR400 is selected by menu. Because of shutter speed limitations, whether DR200 or DR400 are selectable menu items in PASM modes is determined by the ISO setting, which will imposes a floors or a ceiling. Personally, I shoot at ISO Auto400 and DR400 almost all the time, and I cannot remember bumping into a floor or ceiling -- but generally I do not use PASM in very low light situations. (With the F70EXR in low light I try to use Pro Low Light -- one of the settings on the ADV mode dial position -- where possible (that is, when subject is not moving); on the XF1, EXR Auto, which auto-selects an updated, much faster, version of Pro Low Light when needed, is my low light mode of choice.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow