Digital vs. slide film? Film gets nuked!

Started Sep 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
Digital vs. slide film? Film gets nuked!
Sep 6, 2013

Just got back from a nice trip to Zurich... lovely city with even nicer people. One afternoon I visited a park along the banks of the Limmet river and took some photos of a watercolor artist. The point is I once took some 35mm Kodachromes of a similar painter in a San Francisco Park in 1990 ... for kicks I dug out the slide and projected it while I had the XPro1 digital Zurich image on my laptop screen for comparison. The result of my non-scientific comparison?   No frikken contest... no way, no how... the digital image from an APS-C sensor provides so much detail, even compared to a Kodachrome 64 slide shot on a Nikon FM with 105mm f 2.5 (one of their sharpest lenses).  Now I don't have the capability to scan the slide with any level of resolution to compare it to the modern digital here... I can only provide the digital image. I loved Kodachrome and I often use the Fuji chrome simulation settings... but in the end... the digital image smokes film.

zoom in and count the hairs on the arms... the close weave of the shirt fabric as well as the trousers... lens: 18-55 X-mount zoom.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow