Started Sep 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hibiki Rush
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
D4 dial and grip repair worth $420?
Sep 6, 2013

Sent in my D4 for a repair to Nikon, estimate came back as a B2 repair which is $420, now trying to decide if it is worth fixing. I mainly sent it in for two issues, one the rubber grips were peeling off in places, and two the command dial wheel was occasionally getting stuck and did not feel as smooth of a click as the others. I also requested an AF adjustment/calibration with an included 24-70 lens, sensor clean, general check (which they normally do anyway).

Now the two main problems are not really required fixes, the camera worked fine with these but it would be nice to have them corrected. However, I feel like these are symptoms that should be better controlled and the camera should not have such issues so frequently. I have found a lot of other threads on the command dials getting stuck/requiring more effort and the rubber grip peeling has been an issue on Nikon bodies for a while.

Is it worth the price to get these things fixed? I don't feel like within a year and a half of owning the camera these things should have been tearing down like that to require repair work of that price... But maybe others can offer some other advice. I have been annoyed by the command dial, just I don't know if $420 annoyed.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow