Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)
In reply to Jim Cassatt, Sep 6, 2013

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Just finished reading the autobiography of Lee Miller by her son Anthony Primrose. Miller was a very beautiful woman who began as a high profile model for Vogue and other magazines. She learned her photogrpaher from her lover Man Ray, the great surrealist photographer, and also became a well-respected photographer.

The book reminded me of the extent surrealists went to modify their images, both at the negatiove and printing stages.

-- hide signature --

I read the Carolyn Burke biography of the amazing Lee Miller twice. As a beginner photographer, that book taught me that creating the image out of camera was equally important to creating the image in camera. Looking forward to reading the Anthony Penrose book.

I saw a wonderful exhibit of W. Eugene Smith's jazz loft work earlier this year. He's another one who spent long hours in a darkroom, perfecting his prints, often with much manipulation.

I've read somewhere that Diane Arbus's fine printing techniques made her photos into works of art, that the photos themselves were good, but her printing rendered them into the realm of genius.

Seems to me that digital post-processing is just the modern day equivalent of dark room work, necessary for transforming an image into a work of art. I too have grown weary of obvious, unnatural looking HDR, but I thought it was cool looking at first! Styles come and go. I love Pictorialism, speaking of styles that have come and gone...

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow