Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
rbattsall
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Re: Not so easy
In reply to jackgreen, 7 months ago

jackgreen wrote:

I dont argue about portability of Olympus. But it's just pretty much useless in bad light.

I think you need to update your thinking.

I often shoot low light events and after investing in m43 gear I still kept my 5Dii and a range of lenses for the low light work. However, I had a better hit rate with the E-M5 vs the 5Dii in terms of both focus accuracy and noise. The AF was far better in S-AF than the 5Dii in any mode and the shadows especially were far better on the E-M5.

Now, I know the 5Dii hasn't the best FF sensor or the best AF but two years ago it was used by a lot of people for low light work so my E-M5 which was previously used for travel and street is now used for low light eventing too.

As someone else has said, to get enough DOF at a fast enough aperture is easier with a smaller sensor and the low light performance benefits from the faster aperture so it's a win win.

On top of that, I don't really see the point of a FF that throws away one third of the light available to it, especially when newer cameras such as the E-M1 have on sensor PDAF which as it matures will very soon make SLT's redundant.

rbattsall's gear list:rbattsall's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow