Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
NTNphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 23 1.4 supposed to be announced tomorrow
In reply to ScottD1964, Sep 5, 2013

dotborg wrote:

NTNphoto wrote:

For that price it really does need to rival the Leica 35mm summilux asph in quality.

So, because it's going to cost $850 US then it needs to rival a $5,200 Leica lens? Not saying that the Fujinon 23mm f1.4 won't deliver that level of performance but your logic is a bit wacky.

I don't get it.  On one hand everyone in DSLR world is raving about the quality and IQ of the new Sigma 35 f1.4 being as sharp if not sharper than the current Nikon and Canon L, 35 f1.4 lenses at just about half the price $850.00.  Now Fuji releases a lenses of comparable FOV for the X series which could be on the same level IQ wise and with a better build quality than either the Sigma, Nikon or Canon (metal vs polycarbonate barrel) at the same price as the Sigma and people complain it's too expensive. Would you rather it be $1400 like Canikon are able to take you for instead?

I think the quality and price point of the XF lenses are to be commended. Fuji is developing a serious enthusiast/pro based product around one of the best APS-C sensors on the market today.

Scott

I'm just saying it needs to be very good because the 18-55 is already pretty darn good at that focal length and is something like f/3.2 there as well and you have the x100s which is f/2 for not much more money and is very pocketable so for that amount of money the 1.4 should be very noticeable better. To my eyes the benchmark 35mm equivalent lens is the leica 35mm 1.4 asph so if fuji can approach that quality for that price then they've done something really special. If it is not terribly noticeably better then they are competing with themselves. So when I say it better be close to Leica level it is more a reflection of the fact that they have two high quality options available already and it should be stellar to be a better choice over the other two.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow