Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kwick1
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparing the wrong thing
In reply to Dennis, Sep 5, 2013

Dennis wrote:

Kwick1 wrote:

I used to love the a900 - probably the best ergonomics of any camera I've handled. And I absolutely love Zeiss glass.

As I said the Zeiss glass is also huge - I'd be buying the 24-70, 85/1.4 and the 70-300G for wildlife (yes, I know not Zeiss, just G, but I don't want the weight of the 70-400).

Total weight for all that? Just under 7 lbs, not including extra batteries.

With high-end m 4/3 glass (their new Olympus "Pro" 2.8 24-80 equiv lens, the Panny 35-100 2.8 and the Panny/Leica 25/1.4). Yeah, not Zeiss, but pretty damn good.

Total weight for all that? Estimated 2.9 lbs. Big difference.

So here's the thing that I think is all wrong in the comparison. You're choosing the best lenses for each system, when you don't need anything remotely like the best lenses on a FF body to match the capabilities of the small sensor system.

So - no advice for you, except to consider compromises in the FF lineup. You have a lot of room between the systems you've proposed.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

Thanks Dennis,

I'm not trying to downgrade the a99 to the Olympus.  I want the best lenses for each system and then assess just how much of downgrade that is.  Spectacular photos are capable with both sensor sizes, but each also has its strengths and weaknesses.

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX1R Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow