70-400 II produce worst images than version I?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-400 II produce worst images than version I?
In reply to RoxanneY, Sep 5, 2013

RoxanneY wrote:

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Sam_Oslo wrote:

on the other hand, a faster AF is always a welcome addition, no matter what you are shooting,

Yeah, you're right about that.

so G2 is a good alternative too for s little extra, assuming they have the same IQ.

My new G1 was $1600 when I bought it back in early 2010. So 'upgrading' to a G2 would not be a "little" extra $ for me. With IQ the same, and a bit faster AF the only real difference... I can't justify what would probably end up being about $800, assuming I could get about $1400 for my G1.

That said, if I didn't already have the G1, the story would be different. The G1 now goes for $2000 new. And with the G2 at $2200... I would consider that difference a "little extra". So if I didn't have one and was in the market to buy one, I'd probably go for the G2.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Score! You got your G1 for a good price! Does Sony routinely raise the price of it's gear like that?

Roxanne

I wouldn't say it happens "routinely" but it did happen twice in the past two years, and I don't recall anything quite like that happening before. Fortunately, I had acquired the 70400G, z2470 (1600 each) and the 70200G (1800) all prior to the Sept. 2011 price increase. At that time all three went up by 200. Seven months later, the first two went up another 200, putting all three at the current $2kUSD price tag. Here's a list http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-lens-price-increase-in-usa-is-real/

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow