Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,937Gear list
Like?
My Recollections
In reply to cmc1, 10 months ago

cmc1 wrote:

I feel at lot of images posted on-line now are over processed and not a true reflection of the Camera users true skills, abilities or passion for photography.

There is some over-processing going on. I myself tend to put in a bit more punch by extending the dynamic range of low contrast pictures.

I am not from the analogue era myself but I know a few people who were trained using film and appear to be far better photographers for it.

I did get a diploma in scientific and technical photography, and I have been a photographic technician doing large duplicate transparencies (10x8inch) and large prints (4 foot wide). But as a photographer I have always been a glorified hobbyist.

I would be interested to know what widely used techniques were used for processing and what are their modern equivalents?

You could select sheet film qualities for detail or contrast in black and white, and select print paper for various contrasts. With colour I remember reversal slide sheet film and a slide sheet film to be printed from negatives (I did colour). With printing you could shade and burn. Any other effects were done by graphic artists.

Also, wouldn't it be good if there were modern software that limited digital post processing to the same level as film?

The modern digital programs combine the jobs of the photographic technician with that of the graphic artist. The limits you perceive did not exist. The terminology used in the digital programs was already used in the film and print days.

It's great to see "straight out the camera, no PP" on posted images.

In commercial photography there was never such a thing as 'straight out of the camera'. All that happened was that there was more than one person involved between the camera shot and the artwork supplied to the customer.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow