Heated debate about 17mm/1.8

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,569Gear list
Like?
No real debate - unrealistic expectations...
In reply to gotompoes, Sep 5, 2013

gotompoes wrote:

I have been reading recently a long debate about the IQ of the 17 mm lens.

Bought a week ago the wonderful Olympus E P5 with the 17 mm/1.8 and at the same time the Sony RX100II. Walked around with both camera's and was able to compare the results in good light.
The little sony performed much better at 35mm (full frame equivalent) then the Olympus 17mm 1.8.
It should be the other way round.
As a result of that i will return the E P5 kit today.
I loved the E P5 but as a stand alone camera i consider it too expensive, with the 17 mm and the EVF it was for me an acceptable price.
It is possible that i bought a bad copy but the reviews about this lens have been mixed.
What to do next ?. I still have the fantastic Panasonic Leica 25 mm.
No doubt i will return to m4/3 as the system is athletic with a fantastic build quality.

I think people expect exceptional sharpness at every aperture with every lens. That simply isn't possible, not at the relevant price point. Personally I've made the comparison you've made with two copy's of the 17mm F1.8 and found it far superior to the RX100... I would suggest that either your comparison was not scientific or your 17mm was a bad copy.

All I would say is that I find the 17mm F1.8 one of my favourite lenses:

Even when it isn't critically sharp (in this case low shutter speed and high ISO are responsible) it has a pleasing render:

I like it for street photography:

In summary I don't think it's the sharpest lens Olympus have released for m43s, but I think if you check DXO you'll find that they rate it as the second best, ahead of the 12mm....

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow