Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,452
Like?
Re: That RAW Troublemaker Again With Files
In reply to mick232, Sep 5, 2013

mick232 wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Mick, that is the best one of all! Which RAW processor did you use? What was the basic idea, or workflow that you used to do it?

To all: Again, did NOT mean for another RAW vs JPG thread, just an off comment about something that surprised me when I was downloading and working a project. I have already been convinced about the value of RAW, as I said before.

Things I have learned: I did not know that the IDC can do the lens corrections just like the camera does. Fabulous. I learned a little more about all of the seemingly competing exposure adjustments like why is there a Whites slider as well as a Highligts slider? Blacks and Shadows? I suppose you should pick a RAW program and stick with it until you learn it.

I used Photo Ninja (trial available at http://www.picturecode.com/index.php). There was no particular idea, just what I normally do. I started with the "portrait medium" preset (even though it's not a proper portrait), then adjusted WB, exposure, detail, sharpening, NR, CA correction, highlight recovery and black levels to my liking. With multiple shots in the same scene I would then go ahead and Copy&Paste these settings to all further pictures, which reduces the effort for those to almost zero.

I tried to keep the time adjusting settings below 5 minutes - spending more time will probably give a better result, but personally I don't think it's worth the additional effort except when you have a great shot with bad exposure that you want to save.

Something new? I know about Noise Ninja. Does it do all of the processing thru to a print, or just the RAW conversion and corrections? I also just noticed the "Auto" button above the color and exposure sliders in Elements 11 RAW. Never tried it before, because real men don't use Auto. But pressed it and was amazed at what the thing could do! That just leaves Noise and Sharpening for me to conquer.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow