Heated debate about 17mm/1.8

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
Re: Heated debate about 17mm/1.8
In reply to marike6, Sep 5, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Many good comments, but a little hard to take seriously when you are trying to convince that the 20 f/1.7 was so slow and noisy to AF that it was essentially "useless", as you said.

What kind of fast action sports were you shooting with a 40mm lens?

I can't speak for that user, but I can tell you where 20mm completely fails and why I ditched that lens because it was useless to me.

I like to shoot at concerts, not real ones with real lighting and tickets, but bar gigs. I pretty much have to live at maximum aperture and since the stages are like 6 inches off the floor, if I want decent pics without the tops of people's heads, I have to be right in front of the stage, and often I'm shooting at ISO 1600+ and I can still manage at best 1/60 or so. At a smaller venue, the 17mm-20mm focal length is actually relatively perfect.

It's easy to confuse the 20mm in that use. Take a picture of the drummer (about 10 feet from stage). The guitarist is doing something fun and running around (4-6 feet), attempt to refocus, guitarist is long gone and now the lens is hunting because there's only black behind it, and at least on the Panasonic G5, this meant that now I can't take any pictures for 10 seconds. Now, the lens is focused God knows where and there's the lead singer 2 feet from the stage, another hunting cycle.

I switched to 17mm f/1.8. Fine pictures every time I point the camera somewhere.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow