Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,981Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax WG-3 vs Olympus TG-3 - movie limitations
In reply to flyingrhino, 10 months ago

flyingrhino wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a rugged camera to take caving (note - wet, dirty, gets knocked, low light). Camera use will be stills and movies.

Have you considered a higher-quality subcompact, like a Sony RX100, in a waterproof housing?  Low light + extreme contrast are not an easy scenario to handle for a toughcam.

So far I've narrowed it down to Pentax WG-3 and Olympus TG-2. But both seem to have their problems and neither seems to be even remotely close to perfect

Photo quality has been reviewed quite deeply in DPR as well as other sites but no one seems to review movie mode properly. For example:

1a. What's the wide angle for movie mode in the Pentax and Olympus? Is it the same as photo mode?

In video mode, Olympus switches to something like 28mm.

I own a TG-1, and it has the dreaded "clicking sound" problem during video (AF mechanism constantly hunts, causing a rapid click-click-click sound, similar to a sewing machine or an old-style movie projector).  Not all TG-1/TG-2's have this problem.

A workaround that I use is to shoot videos in "Underwater Snap 2" mode.  It disables the AF and sets the lens to hyperfocal distance.  Unfortunately, it also disables the zoom.

The rest of your questions seem to be all about the Pentax, can't help you there, sorry.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow