That RAW Troublemaker Again With Files

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: That RAW Troublemaker Again With Files
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Sep 5, 2013

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Mick, that is the best one of all! Which RAW processor did you use? What was the basic idea, or workflow that you used to do it?

To all: Again, did NOT mean for another RAW vs JPG thread, just an off comment about something that surprised me when I was downloading and working a project. I have already been convinced about the value of RAW, as I said before.

Things I have learned: I did not know that the IDC can do the lens corrections just like the camera does. Fabulous. I learned a little more about all of the seemingly competing exposure adjustments like why is there a Whites slider as well as a Highligts slider? Blacks and Shadows? I suppose you should pick a RAW program and stick with it until you learn it.

I used Photo Ninja (trial available at http://www.picturecode.com/index.php). There was no particular idea, just what I normally do. I started with the "portrait medium" preset (even though it's not a proper portrait), then adjusted WB, exposure, detail, sharpening, NR, CA correction, highlight recovery and black levels to my liking. With multiple shots in the same scene I would then go ahead and Copy&Paste these settings to all further pictures, which reduces the effort for those to almost zero.

I tried to keep the time adjusting settings below 5 minutes - spending more time will probably give a better result, but personally I don't think it's worth the additional effort except when you have a great shot with bad exposure that you want to save.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow